Warning to parents
Amber teething necklaces and bracelets consist of amber beads which are a fossilised tree resin and range in colour from yellow to white and beige to brown.
The warning notice was issued after ACCC testing of several of these products indicated that they could break into small parts and present a choking hazard to children under three years of age.
Suppliers claim that when worn close to the skin, succinic acid will be released by the amber beads to relieve the symptoms of teething. Some suppliers also make claims for other conditions including eczema and asthma.
Consumers using this product are advised to:
- always supervise the infant when wearing the necklace or bracelet
- remove the necklace or bracelet when the infant is unattended, even if it is onlyfor a short period of time
- remove the necklace or bracelet while the infant sleeps at day or night not allow the infant to mouth or chew the necklace or bracelet
- consider using alternate forms of pain relief
- seek medical advice if you have concerns about your child’s health and wellbeing.
The Warning Notice to the Public is available from this website.